New Furniture! The Ashley Wilcot Collection and McAdams Recliner

After seven years with this cute, but uncomfortable cheap sofa, we have finally moved on to something new.  I had been telling my husband for years, we work hard, at minimum we should be comfortable in our own house.  The problem with this sofa is that the cushions were rather flat, once you sat down on the piece.  Also, the seat depth was too long for my short legs.  It forced me to sit in an awkward position that was uncomfortable and hard on my lower back.

Here's our old sofa and living room setup.



So, after much back and forth about the type of sofa we wanted, we finally decided on something we could both agree on.  He was team three cushion couch, I was team sectional.  I think the standard three cushion sofa is so uncomfortable.  Who wants to sit down without putting their feet up?  I love sectionals because they are comfy and my favorite spot is the corner seat.

But, Mr. C is right, they can be big, take up a lot of room and limit your ability to change the configurations and positioning of your furniture, if you are like us and move the furniture around from time to time.  One of the big problems with our previous sectional was that it limited the placement of our Christmas tree.  And it forced us to put our tree in an awkward location.

We decided to go with the Ashley Wilcot Sectional this time.  As a compromise, we only ordered the left facing loveseat and right facing chaise.  We also ordered the McAdams Recliner.  We were about to get these really cute Wilcot chair.  I saw my husband sit down in the chair and look so stiff in it.  I asked him how he like it, and he said it was okay and agreed to purchase it.  But, he just looked so uncomfortable in it.  I asked the saleswoman if they had recliners.  I told her we would prefer black with a leather look, although it did not have to be leather because we have a small child.  She brought us straight to the McAdams recliner.  Mr. C sat in it and instantly fell in love.  I told the saleswoman we would take it.  I'm not too big on the look of recliners.  I like pretty things and they always seem so bulky.  But, this is Mr. C's house too, he should be just as comfortable as I am in the house.

I will say it took a while for our new sofa to arrive.  Apparently, the Wilcot series is Ashley Furniture's second best selling sofa and they did not have the inventory to match the sales for the item.  So, we waited over two months for our furniture to arrive in their warehouse.  Now that the sofa is here, it seems to have been worth the wait.  I love it!  It's an incredibly comfortable piece and soft.  The McAdams chair is awesome, as well.  Everyone seems happy about our furniture choices.

I was a little concerned about the color of the sofa because it is lighter than our old sofa, and we have a small child.  However, we haven't had any problems so far.  And, our son has put his hand on it with cheesy Doritos fingers already.  Perhaps it doesn't get dirty too easily.  We did purchase the Ashley protection plan in case we need it.

This is a picture of what our living room looks like with the new furniture.



We kept the faux leather ottoman we've had for years from Walmart.  We use it to store blankets and pillows, and sometimes as a coffee table.  We also kept our Target Threshold Fretwork rug, it can be found here.

Comments

  1. I am interested in the Wilcox sectional, just wanted to check and see how you feel about the quality0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are quite satisfied with the quality. The fabric itself is soft and smooth against your skin. The sofa has the right amount of support in the cushioning. And, I am actually surprised by the quality and style for the price range of the piece. My suggestion would be to go to an Ashley store for yourself and sit in it. See if you like it in person. There was another sofa we were looking at initially, the Julesburg. But, once we saw it in the store and sat on it, I didn't like it as much as I had liked it online. So, I suggest you try it out for yourself. Good luck in your search.

      Delete
  2. We are considering getting this sofa also. Do you have any complaints about it so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No complaints at the moment. We are still loving it!

      Delete
  3. I am wondering how this sofa is holding up now? I see reviews about Ashley sofas getting lumpy, mushy, etc... We are considering purchasing this sectional but are a little concerned about it holding up with 2 young boys in the house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's holding up pretty well, in my opinion. It's not mushy or lumpy, although, it does seem more settled and broken in, if that makes sense. We are doing fine with the sofa and our three year old, so far. Hopefully this helps you make a decision. I will say we have not had it for a year yet, only about eight months.

      Delete
    2. Could you give an updated response about the quality? Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Hi. I just ordered this same configuration. It looks rather small which worries me. Do you find it to be spacious and it's just the angle of the picture that makes it look different t?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our living room is not that big, so we needed something that wasn't too big for the space. We can comfortably seat about four people on the sectional. The chaise is wide and all of the regular seats are deep. If you have a large living room, it may look small. If that is the case, there are other pieces in the collection you can order. Like I mentioned before, we wouldn't be able to accommodate the other pieces in our space; but perhaps a few more pieces would work better for you.

      Delete
  5. Stay away from this sectional!! It gets lumpy after only a few months, the seat cushions sink and the fabric pills. Have had seat cushions replaced and still does the same thing. After 8 months it looks lumpy. Have also had to have the fabric stretched because it was wrinkled and sagging all over after delivery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, I'm sorry you had that experience with the sectional. We have not. We have no sagging. I did notice a little pilling of the fabric on a portion of one cushion, but it is not all over. There is a little lumpiness in the most used areas. But, all in all, we are still pleased with our purchase. We have not had to have any maintenance from Ashley in the time we have owned it. I hope you find something that works better for you.

      Delete
  6. How long is the sofa as you currently have it configured?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about 8 feet 7 inches across the back. The chaise extends about 5 feet 9 inches. Hope this is helpful.

      Delete
  7. Hello!
    How is your sectional holding up?
    We are thinking about ordering the Wilcot sectional but see terrible reviews?? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel it is holding up well, considering we have a three year old. It's not a top of the line unit, but it is perfect for everyday life with a young child. We use the chaise more than any other portion of the sofa. So, there are a few lumps on one side. But, the sectional is still comfortable and still looks pretty good. Pictures coming soon.

      Delete
  8. I know you've had a lot of people ask about how the couch is holding up but I'd like to ask one more time since I believe you've had it over a year now. Is it lumpy and bumpy like others have said or is yours holding up well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a picture soon. It is lumpy in only two spots. Most likely, because those are the two spots we sit in the most. But, I must say, it is still quite comfortable.

      Delete
  9. Hi - I came across your blog as I was researching the Wilcot sectional. I (as it looks like others have) reviewed the feedback on the Ashley furniture site. It looks like you posted this review almost a year ago. I was wondering how it is holding up and if you still are satisfied with your purchase? Also, has the couch lost its form? This is my first big sofa purchase and I want to feel confident that I am getting a good product!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have had it over a year now. We are still pleased with the purchase. It has not "lost its form". There are two spots where it appears lumpy. One thing I do to maintain the shape is fluff the pillows periodically. I know it sounds silly, but I feel it helps. Now, I find the decorative pillows that came with the sofa are quite flat. I don't foresee them lasting very long. I will do a post in the coming weeks with an update and post pictures.

      Delete
  10. Hi Mrs. C - we're considering purchasing the Wilcot and now that you've had it more than a year, what's your assessment? It looks great at the store, but there are so many bad reviews! Trying to avoid buyer's remorse. Thanks for your time and feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't have buyers remorse. We are now into year two of owning the sofa. I have noticed more pilling on the middle cushion. I notice it, but no one else that comes to the house seems to notice it until I point it out. We still find the unit to be comfortable.

      Delete
  11. We just bought the Wilcot sectional on Sunday. I have 2 kiddos, so I hope everything goes well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you all like it as much as we do. I think it's a great mid-price option. We are still enjoying it.

      Delete
  12. Hey mommy wife and I just purchased this sectional. We were seeing many negative reviews. Is the sofa still holding up. Is is still comfortable and does it still look good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is holding up well. The fabric on the middle cushion has pilled a little more. The sofa is still comfortable. I do find that the pillows are losing more feathers than they were in the first year of ownership. But, that could be my son because he keeps kind of pulling them out and saying "Look, I found a feather". The sofa still looks good. I will do another update closer to the the two years of ownership mark since this post has generated a lot of interest.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mickey Mouse Cookies and DIY Cookie Cutter

Converting Dress Pants to Maternity Pants

Slow Cooker Shrimp Fajitas