Starting a Garden

Let me start by saying, I do not have a green thumb.  My main problem is my lack of attention to plants once I have planted them.  However, it is a personal goal of mine to improve my gardening skills.  I love plants and flowers.  And, I have always wanted a garden.  The idea of growing my own food seems so rewarding.

This is a great activity that can be done with a toddler.  My plan is to learn while I teach my two year old how to garden.  Together, I think we can do this and have some fun too.

We wanted to create a raised bed garden using cinder blocks.  We leveled out the ground as best we could and created a rectangle with the cinder blocks.  We placed cinder block caps on each of the blocks to finish off the look.  Doing this will also help block light from getting through in the holes of the cinder blocks and keep grass from growing within the holes.


We actually built and prepped the garden bed a few weeks prior to planting.  So, when we were ready to plant, we needed to moisten the soil since it appeared to be a bit dry.  This is why you see me spraying down the soil.

To prepare the garden bed, we added newspaper at the bottom and then filled the bed with Miracle Grow Organic Soil and a little topsoil.

As I mentioned before, this is an excellent toddler activity.  My son helped me carry the plants and he assisted with planting a few of them.  I think his favorite was just digging in the dirt.  Of course, I helped him actually plant the plants.


We are starting our garden with tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper, purple bell pepper, squash, cucumbers, zucchini squash, onions and garlic.

Once we planted all of the plants, I sprayed them down one more time with the garden hose to give them a drink of water.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mickey Mouse Cookies and DIY Cookie Cutter

Converting Dress Pants to Maternity Pants

New Furniture! The Ashley Wilcot Collection and McAdams Recliner