Marshmallow Fondant Recipe

I have been using this recipe by Peggy Weaver for marshmallow fondant for the past couple of years.  If you follow the link, she has detailed instructions for how to make the fondant which includes helpful tips.  Here, I have noted how I make the fondant.

I prefer to use marshmallow fondant because it tastes much better than the store bought stuff.  It's simple to make and easy to modify if it gets too dry or too sticky.  Simple adjustments can be made to fix those issues so you do not have to throw out the whole batch.

When I use fondant, I always make it at least a day ahead.  It seems to work best that way.  I also never refrigerate my fondant.  I keep it wrapped in plastic wrap and stored in a zip lock bag on the counter.

Ingredients:
32 ounces mini-marshmallows (2 16 ounce bags of Jet Puffed Marshmallows)
5 tablespoons of water
3 pounds confectioner's sugar
1 cup Crisco shortening

*Note:  Here, the ingredients have been doubled from the original recipe because I needed a double batch.


Using the microwave, melt the marshmallows in a glass bowl with 3 tablespoons of water.  Heat in 30 second cycles, stirring in between each.  Continue the cycle until the marshmallows are completely melted.  It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes to melt.  Here are some pictures of the various stages as they melt.


 
 
 

Then, put 2 lbs of the powdered sugar on top the mix.  If the bowl is full like mine was, you won't start mixing it in until you pour the mixture onto your work surface.


Use the shortening to grease the counter and your hands.  I like to use these Crisco sticks, I find them quite easy to use.


Grease your working surface well.


Then transfer the marshmallow mixture to the counter and begin to work with it.  It will be really sticky.


Knead the mixture.  If it starts sticking to your hands, grease your hands more.


Add in the remainder of the powdered sugar.  Knead some more.  Then roll the fondant out, if it sticks, add more powdered sugar.  Fold the fondant over itself and prepare to store.


Wrap the entire ball tightly in plastic wrap. 


Then, place in an airtight zip lock bag for use later.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mickey Mouse Cookies and DIY Cookie Cutter

Converting Dress Pants to Maternity Pants

New Furniture! The Ashley Wilcot Collection and McAdams Recliner